Friday, September 12, 2008

Don't Even Read This.

Seriously, I'm full of shit. Anyway, readers, if you're still reading, then I guess I'll pump something out for ya'll. Here it goes:

The two most humiliating points of my life.

Part One:

It was New Years Eve, don't even ask me the year, sometime in the earlier part of this decade. There's a party at Caleb and Brandon's University Park apartment. Not only was I going to be amongst great friends in a night of drunken glory, but they lived a stones throw away from the UNLV parking garage, giving us a perfect view of the entire strip and it's giant fireworks show at midnight. About a week earlier, my then girlfriend of about 2 years and I got into a little tiff. Who knows what it was about really, all I know is that our tiff ended with her declaring that we needed a 'break'.

***
Now, the only time I have ever taken a relationship 'break' was in highschool, I was a junior, my girl, a senior. We were literally attached at the hip, and to be honest, I wasn't that into it. My bad attitude caused a fight, and I declared 'break'! If she only knew my real intentions...See, There was this sophmore girl in my theatre class who would flirt with me constantly, and well, I liked it alot. So, my 'break' plan worked, and I was 'free at last' to do whatever, right? Of course! I was 16 years old, and I could give a shit. So yeah, shit happened, it was fun, and I got back with my girlfriend without an ounce of guilt. Not because I'm a shitty dude, but because I was a 16, and didn't know any better...anyhow, I'm getting away from the real story, I just wanted share my own personal partaking in 'break' happenings. And I totally ruined both parts of my story by doing so. I suck...anyways....back to the story
***

So we're on our little 'break', right? But this didn't really change much, if any of our usual dating routines. So, of course she went with me to the party, but there's a catch. This dude she knew from wherever (online I'm guessing?) had a band, and they were playing Las Vegas on New Years Day. Turns out his band didn't have a show booked on NYE because the band planned on hitting the strip and partaking in the chaos. Cool. Turns out she invited dude to the party, sans band. Just him, some guy from Wisconsin who only knows my girl, hanging out with a group of people with bonds stronger than most families. Vibes were had. Good, bad, awkward, you name it. Verdict on the dude from my peers was he was trouble. My response, well, I took it all lightly because I factored in the fact the my girl and I were adults, that 'break' meant an entire honest, innocent break from our relationship. Turns out I was wrong.

I honestly don't remember too much from that night. I drank myself beyond shitty due to the the whole awkwardness of the situation. A big NO NO, I know now. But I guess touring dude made a pass at my drunk girlfriend in front of my friends while I was assed out on the couch. She accepted, and proceeded to kissout with this dude despite me being a couple of feet away.

For the longest time no one told me. I mean, the bass player to my band suddenly hated my girlfriend, but I never knew why. It wasn't till much later when our relationship actually ended that I found this shit out. And all I could do was think back to when I pulled this 'break' shit.

Part 2

Fast forward to about a year ago, November 2007. Different girl, similar story...kinda.

My parents decided to renew their vows on their 30th wedding anniversary. I thought to myself, 'What a perfect time to invite my new girlfriend of 4 months to meet my family'. I mean, it was kind of a special, social event, and I could show off to my whole family the person who's made me so stoked on life lately, right? Well, sorta. See, a week or two before the whole thing happened, she decided to pick an argument about 'space' and how we were 'spending too much time together' and all that. Yep, she wanted a 'break'. By now, I hope you know, I was well aware of what that meant, but I wasn't going to show up to this event solo. Not after all the hype I made.
Fast forward to the night before my parents shindig...
I call the lady friend up to see what she's up to, and to remind her about the wedding thing and to see if she wanted to hang out that night. She's all for the wedding, but hanging out was a no-go...we're on a 'break' and all. So, to free my mind of all the bad stuff I knew was going to happen, I decided to go out to a bar with some friends to check out some bands. As soon as I walk into the bar I see her. There she is, with who I guess was the other dude, arms around each other and all that shit. It was awkward beyond belief. My heart sunk and I couldn't breathe. All I could muster out was 'so, you're still going to my parents thing with me tomorrow, right?' She agreed, and I somehow made it home without driving into a wall out of frustration.
The next morning I called to wake her up, and to make sure she was getting ready. Me being sure to make things on time, was more than ready and already dressed. Grown ups tend to give each other their house keys when they feel their in a comfortable enough situation in their relationship with each other...so I had a key to place. Like an idiot I decided to drive and pick her up earlier than expected. Well, scratch the idiot part, I just wanted proof...and proof is what I got. Now, I didn't make a stink out of the whole ordeal, given our relationship, and the weird shit that happened during it, like I said, I just needed proof.
So anyhow, we drive to the wedding, not mentioning a word to each other about the dude asleep in her bed. I have to give it to her though, she played the part perfect in front of my family, and saved my humiliation for myself. I think I actually thanked her about that after the fact. It kind of shows that she really did care for me, even if just a little. Right?

Anyhow, moral of this story is, from my own life experiences is: If your partner needs to take a 'break', they want to see what else is out there. Maybe you're into that kind of stuff, who knows? Or maybe their request is your chance to take a 'break' also, if you know what I mean. All I know, is, well, I'm not one for 'breaks'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home